Tilapia Escabeche Recipe
Filipino Foodie | On 23, Jan 2013
whole fish – tilapia
1 cup water
2 tbsp. canola oil – for sauce
½ cup canola oil – for fish
½ cup of white vinegar
2 tbsp. fish sauce
½ tbsp. white pepper
2 tbsp. cornstarch
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tbsp. salt
6 cloves minced garlic
1 large chopped white onion
¼ cup ginger cut into strips
1 small red bell pepper cut into strips
1 small yellow bell pepper cut into strips
1 small carrot cut into strips
1. Rub the fish all over with salt.
2. Heat oil in a frying pan and fry fish on both sides until crispy.
3. Set fish aside.
4. Heat oil in a clean (in the same or separate) pan. Sauté garlic and onion then add ginger.
5. Add brown sugar and fish sauce to taste.
6. Toss in carrots and bell peppers.
7. Season with black/white pepper.
8. Pour in vinegar.
9. Mix cornstarch with water and add to pan until it thickens the sauce.
10. Place the fish in the pan with the sauce and cook for a couple of minutes.
11. Turn off stove, plate the fish, and serve.